Congratulations and welcome to MIT! One of the many benefits of joining the MIT community is that you're invited to join an exclusive credit union. If you are not yet on campus at MIT, follow these steps to establish your membership and open your account now and it is ready when you get here.
- If you do not have a US Social Security number, fill out this Certificate of Foreign Status (W8) form
- Bring these documents, along with the required documentation listed below, to any MITFCU branch.
u MIT acceptance letter, MIT ID card, or MIT letter of employment
If you are not yet on campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts, you may fax these documents to the MITFCU International Processing Department at 617-258-5709.
- Most International MIT students and scholars prefer to wire money before they get to Cambridge.
We strongly recommend this, so you do not need to travel with large amounts of cash or travelers checks.
- Once we receive and process your application, we will send you a password protected email confirmation. This email will include your new account information (so make sure you include a password on your application!) and instructions on how to transfer money to your MITFCU account.
- MITFCU never charges for incoming wires.
- Visit the MITFCU Student Center branch, conveniently located in the MIT Student Center at 84 Massachusetts Avenue.
- We'll verify your passport and signatures and show you how to activate your account so you'll have access to it right away.
Money 101 is an information e-Book designed especially for college students. It includes
tips on student money management essentials, including checking account information,
student credit cards and establishing good credit, student loans, and budgeting controlling
expenses. Read more